Melon Snacking Cake with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups MAG.nificent® Melon, cubed & pureed in a blender plus an additional 1 cup diced for topping
- 1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flor
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Ground or Grated Nutmeg
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 8 oz Cold Cream Cheese, cut into cubes
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 5 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Large Egg
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Spray an 8” square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pepper, and nutmeg.
3. In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in egg just until combined. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with melon puree in 2 additions.
4. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached, 25-30 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes, then turn cake out of pan and let cool completely.
5. For the frosting, in a small skillet or saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Let the butter brown, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent burning. At first, the butter will pop and crackle, then the crackling will stop. It should start to smell nutty, and when you swirl the pan you should see golden brown bits at the bottom. Scrape butter into a small bowl and cool at room temperature until it has solidified again but is still soft.
6. In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, browned butter, and vanilla until combined. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
5. Use an offset spatula to frost the top of the cake, leaving the sides bare. Cut cake into squares and top with diced melon.